Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Every Little Step

I just recently saw the documentary Every Little Step, which follows the audition process for the Broadway revival of A Chorus Line. Years ago I used to be an actor on the stage, but watching this movie I realized I could never ever go back to that again! I felt such a sick feeling in my stomach for the poor actors, going through absolute hell in order to achieve their dreams. I am far more comfortable writing in the solace of my own home, rather than putting my heart and soul on the line in front of a director.

Once I received an email from a student who unfortunately did not get cast in one of my plays at their school. Usually the emails I receive are very nice and quite flattering, but this girl was just plain mad...at me. She was upset that I had not written at least one more role so that she could have been in the play. Instead, she had to join "stupid volleyball" as her extra-curricular. And it was all my fault. I suppose when I was writing this play, very likely at 4am in my pajamas, I should have had this girl in mind. A few extra keystrokes from me and she could have been spared the humiliation of volleyball. It sounds silly, but now whenever I conceive a new character, her email comes to mind. I wonder, if I add an extra person to this scene, who might I be saving from sports? For as much as the thought of acting gives me butterfies in my stomach, team sports makes me just as nervous.

So for anyone who has courage to audition for a play, I have such respect for you. It's certainly not easy, and anyone who says otherwise is probably playing volleyball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!