Monday, December 14, 2009

Top 50 Films of the Decade (#50-#41)

I was challenged by a friend to make a list of my favorite 50 films from the last decade. What started as just a simple list turned into a nostalgic look at the last ten years of my life. A lot has happened to all of us since the new millennium began. While recalling Bridget Jones’s Diary, for instance, I realized as I sat in the darkened theatre that night, the World Trade Center was still standing. Or as I cried during Billy Elliot, my grandmother was still alive and well. It’s amazing how a movie can evoke so many different memories completely unrelated to the films themselves. But this list is about the movies!

Some made me laugh, others made me cry. Some are slight, others monumental. What I will say is how my opinion clearly differs from the general public. Either I’m out of the loop, or they are, but only five on my list were even nominated for Best Picture at the Academy Awards. I don’t hold much stock in awards, but looking back I see how way off they were some years. Seriously, how many people love Crash anymore? But I can, however, come up with a list of people a mile long who love Finding Nemo. Oh well, that’s the way it’s gone for years. I mean, who watches The Greatest Show on Earth or The Last Emperor anymore? It’s also very likely that I missed one or two movies along the way. Narrowing ten years of movies into a list of 50 is a daunting task, so you might see me adding one or two forgotten gems along the way.

So, over the next couple of days, sit back and enjoy as I post my picks for the best films of the decade. And feel free to comment as you please. Or better yet, come up with a list of your own. It’s amazing how much you can get to know a person by the movies they love.

Now on with the show...

 50. Pineapple Express (2008)

 

Ridiculous and stupid. Crude and tasteless. Hilarious and clever. Fresh and energetic. I never thought I would like such an idiotic flick, but it’s one of the funniest I’ve seen and I don’t care who knows it. And that’s for two reasons: Seth Rogen and James Franco. 

49. The Contender (2000)

 

Everything about this political drama is pure dynamite. Ten years after its release and we’ve seen women run not only for vice president, but commander-in-chief as well. Fortunately that does not date the film one bit, and perhaps even provides a welcome reason to take another look. 

48. Meet the Fockers (2004)

 

I’m generally opposed to sequels, unless the filmmakers are using them as an opportunity to fix whatever was wrong with the first. Thanks to Barbra Streisand and Dustin Hoffman, the average hi-jinks that took place in Meet the Parents have been righted by this delicious comedy-of-errors that never runs out of gas. 

47. Chicken Run (2000)

 

Only the British could tell a story about a 1950’s chicken farm from the point of view of the chickens and make it so damn funny. Thanks to its dry sense of humor and droll voice talent, this one will have you on the floor in stitches more often than not. 

46. Knocked Up (2007)

 

Judd Apatow ushered in an entirely new genre with The 40 Year Old Virgin; as I see it, romantic comedies for men. Knocked Up takes that idea and perfects it. It’s raunchy in all the right places, just so it can sneak up and tug at the heartstrings of the guys who would otherwise be tossing popcorn at the screen. 

45. Gosford Park (2001)

  

It’s no secret Robert Altman had a knack for shooting large ensemble pieces. Of all his films, this is perhaps the most undeniable proof that he was the very best. With virtually two films happening at once, he never lost sight of the story amongst the swarm of actors dropping in and out of the frame. And what a delicious story it is. 

44. The Matador (2005)

 

A dark comedy about a hitman starring James Bond and an ex-talk show host? True, but don’t let that turn you away. This gem took me by surprise, thanks to some marvelous acting and surprising plot twists. Not to mention Hope Davis in a role perfectly suited to her off-beat sense of humor. 

43. Little Children (2006)

  

There’s nothing funny about this maudlin tale of suburban monotony. However, its morose nature is counterbalanced by breathtaking direction and stunning performances. The screenplay is a marvelous adaptation and one of the few instances that a film surpasses the novel. 

42. Big Fish (2003)

 

Tim Burton made some great films early in his career, but I believe this sentimental outing is his masterpiece. The emotional ending turns me into a quivering heap on the floor, with tears and mucous running down my face. And knowing Burton’s weird ways, I think that’s just how he'd want it. 

41. The Triplets of Belleville (2003)

  

The first lesson I learned in screenwriting is that every use of dialogue is a failure. Great movies can have great dialogue, but these are moving pictures so it’s always best to tell the story visually. That makes this feast for the eyes a cinematic treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!