Sunday, September 16, 2012

Scene from Drama Geeks

Drama Geeks has become one of my most popular plays and I'm thrilled every time I hear from directors and actors who had a great time presenting it. In addition to winning several one-act competitions, it's one of my personal favorites, so I'm very grateful for all the support it has received. In celebration of school being back in session, and for all the drama geeks out there taking part in their very first show of the year, I've posted a short scene from the play below. Enjoy!

NARRATOR: (To MEGAN.) You've been awfully quiet back there. Is there something you'd like to say? (MEGAN shrugs.) What's so funny? (MEGAN shrugs as the ACTORS speak.)

ACTORS:
Shrug.

NARRATOR: What's your name? (MEGAN shrugs.)

ACTORS: Shrug.

NARRATOR: Are you supposed to be up here? (MEGAN shrugs, as do all the ACTORS.)

ACTORS: Shrug.

NARRATOR: Am I missing something?

RACHEL: That's just Megan. Don't pay any attention to her.

TAVIA: Yeah, nobody else does.

EMILY: Just leave her alone.

NICK: Or you might catch something. (The ACTORS chuckle.)

NARRATOR: I pay attention to everything. That's why I'm here. (She walks up to MEGAN.) What's on your mind?

MEGAN: Shrug.

NARRATOR: You can tell me.

MEGAN: Why? Nobody cares what I have to say.

NARRATOR: I do.

MEGAN: You sound just like my guidance counselor.

NARRATOR: But I do.

MEGAN: Yeah right.

NARRATOR: Why are you in drama, then? If nobody wants to hear you, I mean.

MEGAN: I dunno. ‘Cause I have to.

NARRATOR: Who made you?

MEGAN: My parents.

NARRATOR: They're interested in the arts?

MEGAN: No. It's just no fun being at home. So I have to go somewhere. My counselor said I should try drama because I'm “artsy.”

NARRATOR:
Maybe you are.

MEGAN: Nice try, but I'm not stupid. Everyone knows “artsy” is code for “weird.”

NARRATOR: Then maybe drama isn't your thing. There's got to be something you're good at.

MEGAN: I've tried everything. Debate, mathletes, chemistry, yearbook and just about every sport under the sun. All failures. Drama was my final resort.

Check out the entire play at Heuer Publishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!