Saturday, May 10, 2014

SDA Provincial Festival: Day 3

The final day at the Saskatchewan Drama Association was a great one! My workshops are all over for the week, so I was able to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the afternoon performances. And enjoy them I did.

GLAMORGAN - Carlton Comprehensive High School - The Mad Hatter Players are known for their technical savvy, and they did not disappoint yet again. Not only was the set solid and effective, but the use of lighting effects and sound design really helped bring this play to life, particularly as it approached its climax. The ending moments of the play were truly gripping. Rare also is to be equally entertained by watching a stage crew dismantle a set after a production is over. The Carlton crew performed like a well oiled machine and it was great to see that teamwork in action.

ROSIE - Michael A. Riffel Christian High School - This sensational play was written, directed, and acted by an extraordinarily talented grade 12 student named Emma Fiorante. Remember that name because you will undoubtedly hear from this creative young mind in the future. Part pantomime and part music, Rosie was all stunning. Everything, from the set to the lights to the sound, served the story without distracting from it. The entire ensemble worked together so beautifully, but the final moment with Miss Fiorante alone onstage as Rosie embarked on a new adventure, was such a simple and glorious moment that I'm totally crying again as I write this.

I have to say that the plays in the festival this year were particularly strong, so competition was stiff across the board when it came to handing out awards. But what made the atmosphere of this festival so great (and it's not always this way) is how most everyone was there to celebrate great theatre, and one another, rather than focus too much on the outcome. That's what I love to see and I saw a lot of students congratulating one another for jobs well done. That is truly what this weekend is all about.

Adjudicators Russ Ramsden and Bill Hales had the unenviable task of selecting names and plays to bestow awards upon, although I think they did a really terrific job spreading the wealth among all the wonderful shows I saw this weekend. And as Russ himself says, it's all icing anyway. Runner-Up to Best Overall Production was awarded to Carrot River's incredibly lovely rendition of Goodbye to the Clown and Best Overall Production went to Regina's spectacular Rosie.

Congratulations to all of the participants this weekend! I'd like to send a special shout-out to my actor friends Taryn Freemantle, Philip Wiens, Emily Herridge, and Jake Heisler for taking home very well deserved acting awards. They are among a long list of actors (too long to name here) who truly impressed me this weekend. Bravo!

It's amazing how the adrenaline rushes out of a person immediately after a week packed with so much activity. I know I'm ready to stuff myself silly before hibernating for the next week or so to catch up on all the sleep I missed out on the last 7 days. So until next year, the balcony is closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!