Wednesday, June 29, 2011

First Impressions

As many writers will attest, the most difficult part of the process is staring at a blank page. At that very moment, anything is possible. But as soon as you commit to that first letter, whatever you are writing begins to take on a life of its own. Lately I've been writing long hand in little notebooks because it's amazing how many good ideas are swallowed by a simple key stoke. What seems stupid one day might seem genius the next. I shudder to think how many plays I've "cut and deleted" over the years. My most recent play started with a line that I would have never remembered had I not written it down in my notebook. Which got me to thinking of the first lines that have inspired me over the years...

Attention detention!
Oh, the mutiny.
Come on in, but don't fall in the hole.
Would you like more potatoes?
Lights, please.
Excuse me.
Computers for dummies.
What the hell is going on out here?
Yes?
Holy mother of god.
Ta da!
My name is Michael and this is the story of my life.
Can you believe it?
Before Jerry Maguire said "show me the money."
Becky will be with you in just a moment to take your order.
Even the hot fudge is incredible!
Next, please.
Ahoy!
Come on, Grandma, let's go.
Good morning, Miss Eliot.
It's just like the opening scene of Oklahoma! out here.
Split ends?
My back is to the world.
Have you ever had one of those days?
I woke up this morning, sick as a dog.
Just wait until you taste Grandma's tomato sauce!
Is it over?
He loves me.
How did we end up in bed together?
Oops!
That's my yogurt.
How long until the hot dogs are ready?
I am uninterested in the world.
I'm sixteen so I'm not allowed to have an opinion.
Hurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!