Saturday, April 20, 2013

SDA Region 1: Day 2

Three plays this afternoon, all comedies. Let's go through them together...

OUTSIDE THE BOX by Bradley Hayward - The Carlyle junior drama group really did a fantastic job, especially considering how many of the actors had never appeared on stage before, let alone a festival stage. I was especially impressed how focused the actors remained throughout, which was put to the test by having the entire cast on stage for the entire duration of the play. Directors Dean Zacharias and Justine Stephanson kept the movement interesting throughout and added to that bright, colourful costumes and simple, effective props. Dean and Justine are also incredible at building a strong team spirit among the actors, which is the most important thing because that is what will encourage these talented youngsters to stick with drama next year.

MAGIC FAIRY IN THE MICROWAVE by Dara Murphy - This was definitely one of my favorite plays presented all weekend. The production had extremely strong energy, ingenuity, creativity and gore. Yes, you read that correctly: gore. For those unfamiliar with this play, it's a bloody, violent, bizarre black comedy that I have been fond of ever since I read the script last year. I honestly thought I would never see a production, so I was thrilled to see it on the schedule here. I could fill a book with all of the inventive staging that was on display, and actors Carly Greening and Morgan Jones were especially memorable.

THE PITCH by Bryan Starchman - This comedy hit close to home because I have been in many offices of many film producers, trying to "pitch" my ideas as possible movies. This is easily the worst part of being a Hollywood screenwriter, and the main reason why I turned my attention to playwrighting. Well, this production brought back all of those horrible memories, which I guess means the play was successful. Will McGongal played the producer perfectly. So perfectly, in fact, that I wonder how he got it so right. In addition to a student, perhaps he moonlights as a mogul? Whatever his motivation, he nailed the slimy role.

Banquet and awards coming soon. Who will win? You never know. Believe me...you never know! More shortly...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!