Saturday, May 08, 2010

SDA Festival: Day 2

JUST ANOTHER HIGH SCHOOL PLAY by Bryan Starchman, presented by Broadview High School – Backstage comedies always score with an audience and this was no exception. I loved the visual aspects of this production, as well as the comic timing of many of the leads. The play itself has an extended sequence involving puppets, which is not an easy task, and Shayna Moore expertly switched between numerous puppets without a single blunder. I worry they went long, however. Each play has a 60 minute time limit and I know they must have come pretty close. But I was not the bearer of the stopwatch, so I hope for their sake I am wrong.

PROPERTY RITES by Alan Haehnel, presented by Turtleford Community School – I have judged this play in the past and seen it many times beyond that, so I am rather familiar with this script. It is not an easy play to do because it requires a great deal of trust between the actors. The students from the teeny tiny town of Turtleford blew me away. There is an enormous amount of choral work involved and the ensemble never once hesitated to jump right into their dialogue, which helped propel the play forward at a snappy pace. Every single person in the audience, no matter how young or old, was stretched forward in their seats as not to miss a single word. I heard debates amongst the students afterwards who did not quite understand what the play was about, which is exactly the point of a metaphorical piece such as this.

LAUGHING STOCK by me, presented by Gordon F. Kells High School – My play is made up of the youngest group of students at the festival and I could not be more proud of their performance. It’s amazing to think that many of the talented students are just in the eighth grade. They are already naturals on stage and have a fantastic flair for comedy at a level far beyond their years. Their teachers are very lucky to have several years left with this group; a promise of great things to come. I am most impressed by the cleanliness of their production. There is not a single movement, costume, prop, sound cue or light effect that does not have a distinct purpose. Quite often I find high school drama littered with more, more, more…just because it’s available. It’s nice to see a group of students (and directors) trust the material and add to it only what is necessary. It makes for a crisp, lively and genuine performance. Carlyle, you should be so proud of what you have accomplished!

ALL THAT TWITTERS IS NOT GOLD by Ray Sheers, presented by Swift Current Comprehensive High School – At the top of the show, a curtain flew into the rafters and revealed a spectacular set design that resulted in a collective “oooooo” from the audience, myself included. The lights, the costumes, the makeup and the set pieces were expertly designed. There was also some nice acting throughout the play. Unfortunately, and I’m not sure why, the audience around me in the balcony was confused. I admit I also was a bit bewildered by the plot, and the lady beside me was certain they must have skipped a scene of important plot exposition. I don’t think they did, or if they did, they smoothed over it nicely. Being a fantasy, I believe it was just the result of audience vs genre. All in all, it was a visual stunner with some strong ensemble work.

BOOBY TRAP by Ed Monk, presented by Carrot River Jr./Sr. High – I love it when junior and senior high work together. It gives the older actors a chance to pass the torch and the younger ones the opportunities they need to become stronger thespians and technicians. This is a very nice drama that utilized its cast very well. The play is very, very, very depressing, but it never lost the audience for a moment. And the design of the entire piece was spot on, as was the stellar direction. This was an exceptionally strong showing from yet another tiny town of Saskatchewan.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind words about Property Rites. I directed the play and was pleased to show your review to the actors and crew. You made their day.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!