Thursday, May 06, 2010

SDA Festival: Day 1

This weekend I am attending the 2010 Saskatchewan Drama Association Provincial One Act Play Festival. I can hardly believe it’s been a year since I was here in Regina for the 2009 festival. Last year I attended as the judge of the playwrighting competition, and I work shopped the play Table Talk by Daniel Russell.

This year I have the good fortune of having a play of my own, Laughing Stock, in competition. Gordon F. Kells High School in Carlyle won the Region 1 festival for their fantastic production of the play and advanced to provincials. This is the first time a play of mine has made it to this particular festival so I am thrilled they made it this far and know they will knock it out of the park.

Over the next three days, I will keep you posted on all the plays as they are performed. Like I have said before, I adore the festival format because it gives students a chance to experience the work of others their age and pushes them to grow as thespians and technicians. And at this level of competition, the productions are extremely strong, so they should go home with a wealth of knowledge and inspiration. Win or lose, there is a great deal to gain by watching plays and discussing them at length.

Looking at the list of productions, we all should be in for a fun weekend. There are 12 plays over the course of the festival, starting this evening with Babel Rap, Through Thick and Thin, Saskatchewan Night Live! and Promises. It looks like a terrific bill, especially so since Promises was written by another Saskatchewan playwright, Guy Michaud. I read this play many years ago and it has always stuck in my heart, thanks to its beautiful drama and exceptional characters. I am very excited to see it on its feet, rather than on the page. Tomorrow afternoon begins with Just Another High School Play, followed by Property Rites. Friday evening’s plays are Laughing Stock, All That Twitters is Not Gold and Booby Trap. The festival concludes Saturday afternoon with The Perils of Chief Cimägasiw of Cïciganïhk, Why Do We Laugh? and In a Room Somewhere.

Stay tuned for further commentary!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!