Saturday, May 08, 2010

SDA Festival: Day 3

THE PERILS OF CHIEF CIMÄGASIW OF CÏCIGANÏHK by Duncan Ball, presented by Charlebois Community School – I was completely enamoured by this production. While not as polished as many of the plays here, there was a spirit about this show that was infectious. The actors could have worked on their diction, the blocking could have been more varied and the set could have been more functional; however, the joy of theatre emanated from the young cast and rolled over into the audience. Of all the plays so far, this had the most energy and was all the better for it. With further guidance, I believe this group could really do great things.

WHY DO WE LAUGH? by Stephen Gregg, presented by Campbell Collegiate – All eight actors in the play were remarkable, playing their roles with gusto and verve. I also want to make special mention of the spectacular use of light and sound, particularly during the opening moments of the show. Without going into too much detail, they utilized Nat King Cole`s ``Unforgettable`` and some spot lights to marvellous effect.

IN A ROOM SOMEWHERE by Suzan L. Zeder and Daniel Paul Davis, presented by Sacred Heart High School – The production was very solid, including some terrific technical work. The actors were also very focused, especially after having to face some strong distractions from the house. I wish the staging had used more angles, rather than playing everything face-forward. That’s not to say it was not well directed – it was very well staged. I just personally would have chosen to use stronger angles and maybe eliminate a set piece that cut off half of the available playing area. All in all, it had some very thoughtful and creative choices.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:07 AM

    Thanks for the great review. I read your post to the cast and crew of THE PERILS OF CHIEF CIMÄGASIW OF CÏCIGANÏHK, it has inspired them to push themselves further and to achieve another opportunity to compete in the provincials in 2011! Sincerely, The Directors of Charlebois Community School Drama Team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea if anyone from the festival was actually reading this blog or not. Thank you so much for your comment. You should be so proud of your group, and I sincerely hope they will be back again next year! Everyone in your cast was sensational and I thought your play was visually stunning. The overall spirit I experienced while watching your show is something I dream of when someone uses one of my plays. So congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, Bradley...just wanted you to know how much we appreciated the comments you made about our performance. Before the festival and the specifics start blurring, could you tell me how you might have changed the blocking in our play to improve it and how we could have made our set more functional. I have had zero training in drama other than performing in 2 high school plays way back in the dark ages. I didn't even know what the word "blocking" meant until last year! Just kind of set things up on stage from a gut feeling, I guess! So I would appreciate any input you might have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way...I'm talking about the play "The Perils of Chief...". Forgot to mention that in my comment! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness, if you have no theatre training and made all those terrific choices based on your gut, you are a natural! By all means, send me an email to haywardb@hotmail.com and I would be more than happy to elaborate.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!