Tuesday, May 08, 2012

SDA Middle Years Festival: Day 2

Day two of the Middle Years Festival started with two extremely energetic improv workshops (reminding me that I'm definitely not a kid anymore) and ended with three more entertaining productions...

SALLY AND SAM
by Jack Frakes was very nicely presented by Canora Composite High School. Not only did all of the actors have a lot of energy, but their set and technical elements were seamlessly integrated into the show. I particularly enjoyed their opening montage of slides that was set to music. It really set the scene very well and invited the audience into the play. Also worth noting was a truly hysterical group of cross-dressing cheerleaders. Boys in make-up with big bassooms (and they were HUGE) is a guaranteed showstopper!

A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO FIFTH PERIOD by Jason Pizzarello, as presented by Pilot Butte High School, was a hoot and a half from start to finish. For starters, the script is so funny that it would be pretty much impossible to mess it up. Add to that some really great acting and directing, and the results are 30 minutes of pure hilarity. I was especially impressed by the comic timing of the cast - the two leading players in particular. The characters of Tommy and Bugs really played well off one another. One of the main challenges of this play is all the action that happens in the background and everyone did a great job of staying in character without pulling too much focus. Nice job!

THE FRIED KOBASSA by J. Robert Wilkins, presented by Montmartre School, is the second mystery of the festival (and it also happens to take place in a restaurant/cafeteria). It's easy to see why mystery/comedies appeal to younger actors and this play is no exception. All of the characters are very well defined so it allows the entire cast to bring to life a variety of different personalities. There's the cook, the waitress, the nurse, the cheerleaders, the inspector, etc, and everyone clearly had a blast with their roles. What really struck me about this production was all the bold color choices in both the set and costumes. The chairs and tablecloths were bright red (extremely bright), which really popped nicely against the black backdrop.

Once again, backstage clinician Cheryl Scherle had some wonderful advice to share with each group after the performances. I really hope they listen to her words of wisdom because, by golly, she knows what she's talking about! And the students are so very fortunate to have the expertise of the front of house clinician, June Mayhew. I consider myself fairly well versed in educational theater, but I know that even I learned a lot by listening to her comments...so I can only imagine how much information the students absorbed. I'm still trying to figure out if and/or how I know Ms. Mayhew. Her warm voice and encouraging demeanor is oddly familiar, so I'm wondering if I may have been adjudicated by her as a teenager (or taken part in one of her workshops, perhaps?). So far nobody has been able to confirm or deny this, but I really look forward to meeting her in person. The SDA has a history of hiring intelligent, thoughtful, and encouraging mentors - and the combination of Mr. Scherle and Ms. Mayhew is definitely an awesome double whammy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!