Sunday, May 13, 2012

SDA Provincial Festival: Awards & My Picks

I wasn't going to write about what my personal award selections would have been this year because that's not what drama festivals are really about anyway. They are a celebration of each others' work and an opportunity to learn from theatre professionals. I know for a fact that all of the students learned a great deal from the two fantastic adjudicators, Patrick French and William Hales. I spoke with many actors and crew members who said that they are leaving the festival with a great deal of knowledge that they will use to improve their productions in the future. That's definitely what I like to hear!

That said, I've received several emails and a surprising number of web hits in the last hour requesting that I share my personal choices. I certainly don't want to disappoint my readers, so I'm happy to oblige. But before I do, congratulations to everyone at the festival for a job well done, and extra kudos to all those who were awarded with certificates, medals, and trophies. Here goes (and remember, these are my opinions only)...

MY PICK FOR BEST OVERALL PRODUCTION: Down Came the Rain
MY RUNNER UP: The Regina Monologues

AWARDED BEST OVERALL PRODUCTION: The Most Massive Woman Wins
AWARDED RUNNER-UP: Power Play

MY PICK FOR BEST VISUAL PRODUCTION: Schoolyard Games
MY RUNNER-UP: Lost Connection

AWARDED BEST VISUAL PRODUCTION: The Most Massive Woman Wins
AWARDED RUNNER-UP: Schoolyard Games

MY PICK FOR THE CHALLENGE CUP: Power Play
AWARDED THE CHALLENGE CUP: Power Play

MY PICKS FOR ACTING MEDALS (4):
Kris Dreger, The Regina Monologues
Evan Moyer, Down Came the Rain
Adam Tweidt, Down Came the Rain
Angeline Stankewich, Schoolyard Games

AWARDED ACTING MEDALS (4):
Bailey Lemcke, Schoolyard Games
Evan Moyer, Down Came the Rain
Darnell Kwiatkowski, Power Play
Megan Brooks, The Most Massive Woman Wins

I always find it interesting how two people can have such vastly different opinions. This proves how every single production at this festival should feel proud for having made it this far, regardless of the outcome.

I would also like to take a moment to point out a few more actors that really stuck out in my mind...

OUTSTANDING ACTING: Jean van der Merwe (Lost Connection), Trevor Poole (With Regard to Cooper Clawson's Conscience), Hilary Glasser (With Regard to Cooper Clawson's Conscience), Justin Bradley (With Regard to Cooper Clawson's Conscience), Jordan Bradley (With Regard to Cooper Clawson's Conscience), Emily Hammer (The Most Massive Woman Wins), Megan Brooks (The Most Massive Woman Wins), Michelle Hettrick (Hairball), Chantal Normand (Hairball), Bryce Rode (Competition Piece), Kirk Johnson (Competition Piece), Conor Lazarou (The Regina Monologues), Holden Greggains (The Regina Monologues), Annie Trussler (The Regina Monologues), Bailey Lemcke (Schoolyard Games), Danielle Hansen (Schoolyard Games), Amy Lynn Philpott (A Little Something for the Ducks), Greg Kraska (A Little Something for the Ducks), Dakota Laliberte (Robbing Hood), Darnell Kwiatkowski (Power Play)

I could go on and on and on and on. So to all the students at the festival, thank you for the great weekend of theatre and congratulations on a job well done. I can't wait to do it all again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!