Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Robert Southey School

Sunday evening I had the amazing opportunity to attend a rehearsal of I Don't Want to Talk About It in Southey, Saskatchewan. Robert Southey School is located in a small rural community about 45 minutes north of Regina, and having grown up in a town about the same size, I was thrilled when I heard that they had decided to produce one of my plays. And, wow, what a production it is!

A couple of weeks ago they won the Saskatchewan Drama Association Region 5 festival, which means they advance to the Provincial festival that begins tomorrow in Regina. I'm so proud of what these students have achieved with the play and I'm honoured that they will be representing my work on the Provincial stage.

I was immediately struck by how deeply they connected with the material (which deals with teen issues) and how seriously they've taken the responsibility of getting its message across. But what impressed me the most was how they've also embraced the comedic aspects of the play in addition to the serious moments. I was deeply moved by the way the actors were able to make me laugh one moment and cry the next. So many productions of this play, as well as many other topical teen plays, are handled far too seriously from beginning to end. This inevitably turns them into the dreaded "problem play" - preachy, didactic, and far too melancholy for an audience to invest in the characters. Such is not the case with Southey's hilarious interpretation. They managed to blend comedy with drama in a beautiful way that invites the audience into the production rather than turning them away. I was truly blown away and can't wait to see the impact they have on an audience of their peers from around the province.



If you happen to be in Regina this weekend, Southey performs I Don't Want to Talk About It Friday afternoon at 1:00pm at the Riddell Centre, located on the University of Regina campus. I will be there, front and center, and hope to see you there! Trust me when I say that this cast and crew is going to leave you with plenty to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!