Sunday, May 10, 2015

SDA Provincial Festival 2015: Day 3

In what seems like the blink of an eye, the 2015 Provincial Festival has come to a close. The last of my playwrighting workshops was with the students from Moosomin and North Battleford. I had great fun with both groups, and another collection of monologues and memories was created. This was followed by the final two productions of the festival...

THE INVISIBLE CIRCLE - St. Pascal Community School - I was really impressed with this short drama, written and directed by the students from Green Lake. The participants from Northern region continue to grow each year, and this was the first time I had seen so much theatricality employed in a production. I was quite taken with a lovely sequence in which the actors silently acted out the entire play in reverse. They took their time, exercising admirable patience and precision. They concluded the play with a warm rendition of "True Colours" that was accompanied by sign language.

THIS IS A PLAY - Sacred Heart High School - This was, hands down, the funniest production of the entire festival. Its three players (Mack Tourand, JilliAnn Sawatsky, Casey Shields) gave the audience a virtual master class in comedy. Tourand in particular gave a virtuoso comedic performance, somehow managing to elicit a dozen laughs per line of dialogue where many other actors would have struggled to find one. He truly is a one-in-a-million original. Hats off to Sacred Heart High for a perfectly executed comedy that made me laugh so hard I nearly went into convulsions. And I was not the only one.

Congratulations to Clavet School for winning Best Overall Production (Shuddersome: Tales of Poe) and Vanier Collegiate for taking runner-up (Romeo Revised). I'd also like to send a special congratulations to Robert Southey School for all the recognition they received for I Don't Want to Talk About It. Cassidy Huber, Aislinn Roske, Alicia Kifferling, Kennedi Harper, and Shawn Nixon were all honoured by the adjudicators.

The last day of festival is always bittersweet. I look forward to Provincials all year long, and then it seems to be over before it even gets started. Yet as quickly as it passes, the memories last a lifetime. And for that, I am incredibly grateful.

Riding the school bus with the awesome crew from Carrot River Junior Senior High School

Until next year...

2 comments:

  1. Gregory Digout7:30 AM

    Bradley, your continued support, enthusiasm and encouragement for young actors and the SDA Festivals are greatly appreciated. Your workshop improved my students' festival experience immensely. I can't remember the last time I attended a regional or provincial festival that did not feature a Bradley Hayward script. Your contribution to Saskatchewan drama is immeasurable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Greg. This means the world to me, especially coming from someone I so admire. I was inspired by your work when I was attending provincials as a student and continue to be inspired year after year.

      Delete

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!