Thursday, May 07, 2015

SDA Provincial Festival 2015



Today is the day hundreds of students, teachers, and parents have been waiting for: Day 1 at the 2015 Saskatchewan Drama Association Provincial Festival! I've also been looking forward to this weekend of high school theatre ever since last year's festival, and after looking at the list of plays in the program I see that this year just might be one of the best ever. Starting tonight, 11 plays from all corners of Saskatchewan will begin performances on the main stage at the Dr. William Riddell Centre at the University of Regina.

The variety of plays is particularly strong this year; there's drama, comedy, Shakespeare, realism, surrealism, original plays, and even a horror in the mix. I'm also thrilled that I'll get to see one of my own plays, I Don't Want to Talk About It, which is being produced Friday afternoon by Robert Southey School. It's not very often that I get to see one of my plays performed so close to where I grew up, which gives me an opportunity to share what I do with my friends and family from home. For that alone, I'm incredibly grateful to be here.

I invite you follow this blog, as I'll be writing about all of the plays as they happen. I will also be posting pictures and video from the days ahead on my Facebook page, which you can check out by clicking HERE. And by all means, like my page and feel free to share your own pictures and comments. I enjoy hearing what each and every one of you has to say!

The SDA also has a Facebook page which you can check out by clicking HERE. From there you stay updated on all of the latest news about the festival, as well as other arts opportunities for drama students in Saskatchewan. You may also see a few familiar faces, as I'll be posting pictures and video from my playwrighting workshops.

Speaking of workshops, it's almost time to head over to the theatre, so I'll leave it here for now. Following is a complete festival schedule, so please come out and show your support for all of the many talented students who have worked so hard to get here. Making it to Provincials is a huge accomplishment and they deserve as much applause as possible.

Stay tuned for more!

Thursday, 7pm
MAGNA CARTA, Regina
SHUDDERSOME: TALES OF POE, Clavet
THE 9 WORST BREAK-UPS OF ALL TIME, Swift Current
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, North Battleford

Friday, 1pm
I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT, Southey
A.M.L., Carrot River

Friday, 7pm
NO PROBLEM, Moosomin
ROMEO REVISED, Moose Jaw
PRESSURE, Rosetown

Saturday 1pm
THE INVISIBLE CIRCLE, Green Lake
THIS IS A PLAY, Yorkton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!