Sunday, April 19, 2009

Finding "The Right Play"

One of my favorite pastimes is reading plays. I read all sorts of plays, but one-act plays written specifically for high school performers are far and away the most interesting to me. Ten years ago, there was a serious lack of good material for teenage actors. However, that has thankfully changed in the new millennium and there is now a wealth of great material, so long as you know where to look.

I am very fortunate to be published by some truly terrific publishers, each having a strong catalog full of high school material. Over the next week or so, I will feature each of them on this blog. Some you will certainly know about, and others might be new to you. But they each bring with them a vast selection of truly great plays that pose a creative challenge to students. I know how difficult it can be to find the "right play," especially in high school when the number and experience of students inevitably change from year to year.

Also, investigating fresh new works by fresh new authors will help remedy the problem of high school festivals being flooded by the same plays year in and year out. I think Juvie is an excellent one-act play, but I could handle a year or two without seeing it so often. Same goes for a handful of other scripts that I know you're sick of seeing as well.

So take a moment to follow the links I'll be providing and see for yourself what an array of super fun, super challenging and super fantastic new plays are out there. Many of these publishers offer free catalogs by mail, and others have it all up online for your perusal. Enjoy the search! For reading a well written play is almost as fun as seeing one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!