Thursday, May 07, 2009

SDA Festival: Day 1

I arrived in Regina and had several hours to kill before I could check into my hotel. So I drove around town in a desperate (and somewhat pathetic) search for free wireless so that I could check my email. I drove from parking lot to parking lot, barely able to pick up even the weakest internet connection. I finally hit the jackpot in, of all places, the Dairy Queen. What the Dairy Queen needs wireless for, I will never know. Nonetheless, I was able to check my email. Nothing but spam, so my search for internet access was a waste of time and gas. Ah, the addiction to technology.

I don't start my playwrighting workshop until tomorrow, so I just got to enjoy a really great evening of plays.

First up was a presentation of Flaky Lips by Lindsay Price. The play is all about racial tension, and I must say I was extremely impressed with this group. Their interpretation of the play was completely different than what is written in the script. Instead of actors of two different races, they chose to paint the young actresses bright colors. This could have come across as silly, but the maturity of the acting really kept the play grounded.

Next was a production of Inside Al by David S. Baker. I have been aware of this play for some time, but I had never seen it. The students tackled its serious subject matter with great humor and dignity. When I read that it was a student directed production, I was even more impressed.

Third was a play that I had never heard of before, Conflict by Wade Bradford. What a fantastic piece, especially for high school students! And the quality of the production easily matched the quality of the script. The staging was ultra creative and its pace never faltered for a moment. Great job to all involved!

Last on the bill was Competition Piece by John S. Wells. This was a little strange to see because I acted in the play over 13 years ago. Since high school has changed a lot in the past decade, the play has become a little creaky and old. However, it was neat to see a play I know very well and remember bits of dialogue as they came up.

All in all, it was a great evening of theater. I look forward to starting my workshop tomorrow, as well as seeing another five plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or ask a question. I love questions!